Sunday, December 15, 2013

Final Blog Reflection - English 495



            I looked over this blog today, starting from the bottom (poetry essay) and then working my way up towards my final draft for our final essay project. It was an interesting experience to say the least, mostly due to the fact that prior to this assignment (blog creation) I didn’t know exactly what a blog was or more accurately, what was the point. Writing in a journal has always been an assignment I never completed or simply dismissed because the actual action of writing down my thoughts and/or experiences has never interested me.

            This isn’t to say that I don’t like writing. Far from it as I am a creative writing major, it’s been more of a problem of finding what to say that would intrigue or entertain someone. I write because I enjoy the reaction and the praise from people who genuinely enjoyed reading my story. And when I thought about it, what satisfaction could one derive from reading about my thoughts on buttered toast when they could be more entertained reading how I think a story about a Genie and a selfish man would play out? 

            As such, when I looked over my blog this morning to begin my refection, I began to notice a story that intermingled and weaved between each post. My first post of the semester was my poetry essay about A.E. Housman’s poem, “To an Athlete Dying Young.” Although I find myself confused and irritated with poetry, I have always remembered this poem because of what I originally assumed was a tragic ending and ultimately morbid stance on death. However, thanks to the research I did, I discovered a different take on Housman’s view of life and success and found myself for once, enjoying the process of poetry dissection.


            The second blog post I posted was my two poetry writing assignments. As stated, I dislike poetry but as a writing major, I looked forward to doing something creative. While I do not think these poems will win any prizes anytime soon, I am ultimately happy with what I created; additionally, these poems will always stand out to me because of where I was when I wrote them. Though the concept and the ideas had been established for a long time, the writing didn’t happen until I found myself in Hawaii, watching the sun rise as I typed them out. Though these poems have nothing to do with that setting, it is impossible to reflect on them without remembering the adventure I had around them.

            My final blog posts were two different group projects and an essay. And although my blog does not mention names or have any pictures of my group, simply reading them brings them all back to light. From several scattered emails to sharing picture to collaborating on direction and presentation, it is impossible to think of these assignments without remembering the jokes, the conversations and the friends that I made this semester.

             Looking back over this blog is like seeing a slice of my history. Though the details are invisible to the casual observer, what I see is a record of my past that I would have otherwise forgotten. And seeing my writing cooperating with the pictures I inserted brings me to discover an intermingling of technologies that although common in my day-to-day life, seemed inclusive to as a medium I could use. As such, my blog reflection boils down to this; I wish I had down more with it because of I am proud of what I have created here. While I do not think I have discovered the universal appeal and purpose of a blog, I do feel that I have discovered the personal appeal for myself. Though the causal visitor may stumble across this page and only take a moderate interest, I myself will always remember it more for the stories that sprang up around every post. 

*Except for the Hawaii photo, all other images are courtesy of random Google searches :)

No comments:

Post a Comment